Every year, you may promise to make some big change in your life. Whether it be sticking to a better diet, getting in the gym more often, or changing your skin care routine. You know the basics. Don’t ever sleep with your makeup on, don’t share mascara, and don’t expose yourself to the sun too often. However, it can be really difficult to break these habits if you’ve been doing them all of your life. Luckily we’ve outlined a great skin care routine that will make a huge difference in how your skin looks and feels! Get ready to enjoy velvety smooth, skin.
- No Heat: I know first-hand how tempting it is to take a scalding hot shower, especially during the winter. However, this is terrible for your skin! Try to rinse with lukewarm water, or cut your rinsing time in half.
- Sunscreen: If you don’t wear foundation that includes SPF, get a new one. You always need to protect your skin from the sun, even if you’re not poolside working on your tan!
- Take Care of Yourself: I hate to sound like a broken record, but you know the deal. Drink tons of water, get more than enough sleep and try to reduce your stress levels. Sometimes we can’t control everything, but it’s important to try to control what we can!
- Develop a Routine: Create a routine that works for you. It’s recommended to wash your face at least twice daily, especially if you regularly wear make-up. Try to do this the same time every morning and every night to make sure you don’t skip out on it after a few days.
- Exfoliate: In order to really take advantage of your best skin, try an at-home exfoliating peel. Not only will this take regular exfoliation to a new level, but only takes a few minutes and you don’t have to worry about scheduling an appointment. For the best results, consult a dermatologist for recommendations.
- Exercise: I know it’s hard to believe staying active makes a difference in the health of your skin, but it does. It keeps your skin in the best shape possible and reduces stress and anxiety! Don’t forget to stock up on protein-heavy foods.
- Clean & Disinfect: You can pay all of the money in the world for cleansers, exfoliants, and doctor’s visits, but if you constantly infect your skin it won’t matter. Clean your pillowcases weekly and any other brushes, sponges, or tools that come in contact directly with your skin.
- Exfoliate your Whole Body: It’s important to remember that there is such a thing as over-exfoliation, so it should be kept to a minimum. We recommend a full body scrub once a month in the shower. Make sure to pay extra attention to any parts of your body that are especially dry or easily irritated!
- Get a Professional Facial: If possible, try to go see your doctor or dermatologist once a month for an in-office facial or chemical peel. These aren’t 100% necessary but do help prolong the natural glow and beauty of your skin.
- Switch Up your Routine: If you set up a rough schedule of your routine and something is working, great! Keep doing it. However, if you see something isn’t working and needs to be changed, then figure something else out. It’s important to check in and make adjustments when necessary.
- Check Expiration Dates: It’s incredibly important to check expiration dates monthly. That includes makeup, cleansers, moisturizers, and just about anything you put on your face. It does make a tremendous difference in the long run and should be monitored monthly!
If you can’t go to the dermatologist or visit your doctor every month, that’s okay. There’s certainly not only one way to take care of your skin, and different things work for different people. The most important thing is to take the health of your skin seriously and work at keeping it happy and healthy. What are some of your favorite skin care routine tips? Leave your comments below!