Family friction can make a perfect day feel like a nightmare. It stresses us out, makes us angry, and causes on-going conflict for days on end. So what are we supposed to do? First things first, avoid escalation. But how? The answer is simpler than you may think – communication! Yep, communication can solve most of your family issues at home. Here are the top 5 tips to improve communication and avoid family friction.
- Setting Rules: Have rules so clear, there’s no room for discussing whether they’ve been broken or not. Your kiddos need structure and you need to write it out for them entirely. For example, you are allowed to do this, you are not allowed to do this. Allow questions so there’s no room for confusion in the future.
- Explain Consequences: Once you thoroughly explain the rules, make sure you explain the consequences, too. It’s important to be specific on these. Leave no room for error! Some tips to avoid sibling arguments is to make sure the consequences and rules are the same for both kiddos. If one feels favored and the other feels second-rate, this will only fuel the fire.
- Give them a Chance: If there’s a situation where you didn’t see something done first-hand, have a conversation about it. Let each person explain themselves and truly listen. If your kiddos don’t feel heard, sometimes they disregard the rules because they feel like it doesn’t matter either way.
- Spend Time Together: No parent wants to be the bad parent. So instead of being the one whos only nagging or punishing your kiddos, make sure to remind them of positivity, too! Include both parents so it’s not good parent vs bad parent. It’s also a great opportunity to get your kiddos to spend time with each other!
- Open Communication: Most importantly, instill open communication. Teach your kiddos to talk through their feelings when something is bothering them. Instead of keeping everything in, confront their feelings. When you internalize anger and frustration, it’s easier to take it out on others. This is a great time to teach your kiddos how to learn what’s really causing you anger.
Your kiddos may not see an overnight difference, but over time it will get better. These 5 tips are easy and simple solutions to improving your families communication. Communicating successfully will allow more time for laughs and loving memories! How do you avoid family friction in your home? Leave your comments below!