When the winter weather makes keeps you inside all day, it’s more important than ever to have a clean home. There’s nothing more relaxing for guests than a fresh and clean home, and there’s nothing that’s better for your sanity. Similar to spring cleaning, we’ve got a list of things that you can do before winter starts, that will leave you with a clean home and a peaceful mind.
- Start with all the closets in your home. Divide your clothes into two separate piles, one to keep and one to give away. If you’re struggling with parting with some of your clothes, here’s a quick tip. If you haven’t worn it in two years or the tag is still on it and you’ve never worn it, you might want to throw it in the giveaway pile. For the pieces you just can’t let go, try taking them to the dry cleaners!
- Next, take a look at your mattress. Did you know you’re supposed to clean your mattresses twice a year to keep dust and debris from building up on your mattress? The start of a winter is a great time to dedicate to cleaning your mattress. It’s as easy as vacuuming the top layer, flipping it over and vacuuming the other side.
- Next up is the office. It’s understandable for you to spend a lot more time inside once winter rolls around. When it’s cold outside we tend to cling to our electronics even more. So before that time starts, it’s a good idea to make sure your computer is in tip-top shape! Turn it off and use a microfiber cloth to wipe off your screen and keyboard. Don’t forget to turn your keyboard upside down to gather that extra dust. You can use a can of compressed air if there’s a lot of dirt in between the keys.
- Finally, the dreaded junk drawer. This may seem like a project that you’re not prepared for taking on, but you can always start small. Especially if you’re looking for something to do during the day, organizing is always a good idea. Pull out a drawer and dump it on your floor, turn on your favorite show, and get ready to organize. Have a trash bin nearby so you can throw things away with a minimal mess.
- Then it’s time for your kitchen. If your house is anything like mine and your pots and pans are always a mess, there’s a solution. If any of them are past their prime, recycle them. If you can’t let any go, then think about some different storage options. Try installing a hanging rack near the stove or even a drawer organization system.
- Last but not least, look at your spices. This is something I ALWAYS forget to do, but it really works wonders for organization. Go through all your spices and throw away any that are expired or have just a little bit at the bottom. Then, reorganize them in alphabetical order, making them much easier to find.
And there you have it! 6 simple places to start, but the possibilities are endless. What are some of your tips for a clean home in the winter? Leave your comments below!