How often do you hear how much money you can save by cooking at home? We hear it all the time, and may even say every now and then, too! However, the only way to fully maximize the benefits of cooking at home is to make sure you have a fully stocked kitchen. You may not be able to spend thousands of dollars on upgrading your utensils and appliances in your kitchen, but we’ve got you covered with the basics. From mixing bowls to food processors, here’s a list of kitchen essentials a home chef can’t live without!
- Cutting board – If you’re going to cook at home, you’re going to need a few cutting boards. We recommend at least two, one for proteins and one for veggies. However, you truly can never have enough cutting boards. Whether you choose a nice and heavy wood cutting board or a thin plastic one, you’ll find food prep and management is a lot easier!
- Measuring Cups & Spoons – Get a good set of both measuring cups and measuring spoons. It’s no surprise that most recipes require measurements! You can go big with silver or buy an inexpensive plastic set.
- Knives – A good knife set is one of the most important kitchen essentials! If you can’t spring for a nice set, you can always settle for a large chef’s knife and a paring knife. You’ll need them for food prep and to cut fruits and veggies.
- Mixing Bowls – It’s incredibly hard to prep your meals without mixing bowls. For things from brownies to seasonings, a mixing bowl is a must-have. The best way to go here is getting a set that has a few different sizes!
- Spatulas – I’ve lost count of how many spatulas I own, but you can truly never have too many. Spatulas are perfect for flipping, tossing and turning a huge variety of things. I prefer silicone over plastic because they’re flexible and super easy to clean!
- Pots & Pans – You have to have something to cook with, right!? Pots and pans may be one of the most important kitchen essentials. While getting a nice set would be best, you can always start with individuals. The most used pots and pans are a skillet, small saucepot, and large pot. Quality is over quantity here!
- Wooden Spoons – Wooden spoons are great for soups, stews, or just about anything you would need to stir. Wooden spoons are usually better to use because they don’t scratch the bottom of your pots and pans and help preserve coatings.
- Food Processor – There are tons of wants when it comes to kitchen gadgets but you absolutely need a food processor. You can use them to blend, shred, chop, and even slice! You can’t go wrong with a high-quality food processor!
- Baking Sheet – Even if baking isn’t your favorite past-time, you need a baking sheet. You can use them for more than just cookies, like roasting some salmon and asparagus.
Cooking at home can be fun, healthy, and most of all cost-effective. But to get the most out of your kitchen at home, make sure you stock up on the essentials. What are some of your favorite kitchen essentials? Leave your comments below!