There’s no doubt that kiddos love arts and crafts. Whether it be paper crafts, home-made paintings, or science projects! However, there’s usually so much stuff going on it’s hard to get all the supplies and find the time to plan out a safe and fun science craft. That is until I found this tutorial for a DIY lava lamp! These lava lamps are not only super simple and safe, you can find all the supplies you need at home. No trips to the store are necessary! Here’s how to get started on your very own lava lamp.
- 3 large water bottles, empty
- Food coloring
- Vegetable oil
- Alka Seltzer
- Large pitcher
- Fill each water bottle about 3/4 of the way with the vegetable oil.
- Next, fill the rest of the bottle up with water. Make sure you leave about an inch of space between the top of the bottle and the cap.
- Then, add about 10 drops of food coloring.
- Before you add in the Alka Seltzer tablets, break them up into four pieces.
- Once they are broken up, add them in one at a time. To ensure the Alka seltzer is fully dissolved, wait until the first piece stops bubbling before you add in the next one. If too many tablets are dropped in at once, the solution will become cloudy.
- Finally, enjoy your beautiful lava lamp with the kiddos!
And that’s all there is to it! This is such a great activity for kids, parents, and everyone in between. You can experiment with first using one color, to using multiple colors, to creating your own color combinations! Not only is this super fun, but this is also a great learning experience. It’s not very often we can mix science with fun and still keep our kiddos entertained. What are some of your favorite DIY activities for your kiddos at home? Leave your comments below!