When I was a kid, I remember the joy of getting our family advent calendar. Every December was highlighted by the excitement and joy of seeing what awaited me that morning, and the fact I get to do it all again tomorrow. There’s plastic, chocolate, and even plush advent calendars. Luckily, we’ve got something even better for you. Heres a pegboard advent calendar that you can make in the comfort of your very own home! This is a great activity for the entire family and even makes great gifts! Here’s how to get started on your own.
- White Pegboard
- Cotton Muslin Pouches
- Krylon Gloss Enamel
- Wood axle pegs
- Craftsmart stencils (alphabet)
- Acrylic Craft Paint
- Paint a two-by-four pegboard slat, then let it dry overnight.
- Using stencils, craft paint, and a brush or sponge, paint the numbers 1-24 on muslin gift bags and let that dry overnight.
- Then, evenly space 24 small wooden pegs on the board.
- Next, work on the bags. Fill the bags with toys, candy, or handwritten messages, whatever you feel like doing! This is a great time to involve the kiddos and even the whole family. You can include a quote, funny joke, or sweet message. You can even set days of the week where a specific family member opens the gift for the day so a sibling can leave them a sweet message!
- Then, hang the bags in numerical order.
- Finally, place the pegboard on a console table, or a ledge, possibly even the mantel. And all that’s left is to allow the anticipation to build!
The best thing about this advent calendar is you have complete flexibility. You can fill the bags with whatever you want. Your kids can fill them with coins, stickers, candy, whatever you please. What are some of your favorite Christmas crafts? Leave your comments below!