I think it’s fair to say there’s nothing more fulfilling than a hearty soup recipe in the middle of winter. What’s even better than a hearty soup? One that’s healthy for you! Although a delicious soup sometimes has a hefty calorie count, this hearty soup is full of veggies and warm goodness. Cozy up this winter with this hearty vegetable soup recipe!
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 small potatoes or sweet potatoes, peeled and diced (can also substitute with cauliflower)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 3 tomatoes, diced (or substitute with 1-14 ounce can)
- 14.5 ounces can Rotel (or diced tomatoes and green chiles)
- 15 ounces can tomato sauce
- 1 to 1 1/2 pound lean ground beef or turkey
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 – 2 teaspoons chili powder, more or less to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for an additional 1 minute.
- Next, stir in the ground beef and cook until browned. Drain any remaining fat.
- Then, stir in potatoes, celery, carrots, Rotel, tomato sauce, and water.
- Bring to a light simmer and then stir in the balsamic vinegar, chili powder, salt, pepper, and tomatoes.
- Reduce the heat to low and let simmer for about 30-45 minutes (or until the potatoes and carrots are fork tender), stirring occasionally.
- Top with fresh basil and sliced avocado if desired.
And there you have it! A super easy and delicious soup recipe that is sure to please your entire family. Feel free to add in different vegetables or if you are a vegetarian, you can add more vegetables in place of protein. Not only does it taste good and is good for your body, it’s a great soup to make in large quantities. This soup freezes great if you want to set some aside for the near future. Allow your soup to cool and pour into a Ziploc bag! What are some of your favorite soup recipes? Leave your comments below!