If you’ve never had homemade chocolate pudding, get ready to start living the good life. It’s super smooth and a chocolate lovers dream — a totally different taste from instant pudding. Of course, our kids love it, but don’t be fooled – adults like to lick their bowls clean and enjoy every last bite, just as much as our kids. Here’s a great pudding recipe perfect for those sweaty summer days, your whole family will enjoy!
Chocolate Pudding Sundaes
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2-1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups whole milk
- 1-1/2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Toppings, such as whipped cream, fresh berries, sprinkles, candies and maraschino cherries
- Mix the sugar, cocoa, cornstarch, and salt in a heavy medium saucepan.
- Then, add half of the milk and whisk until the mixture is smooth. Whisk in the remaining milk. Continue whisking over medium heat until the pudding thickens and comes to boil about 8 minutes.
- Continue to boil 1 minute longer, whisking constantly.
- Remove the pudding from the heat.
- Add the chopped chocolate and vanilla; whisk until the chocolate melts and the pudding is smooth.
- Divide between 4 dessert dishes. Cover the puddings by placing a small piece of saran wrap inside the dessert dishes and directly over the pudding (this prevents a film from developing at the top).
- Cool the puddings in the refrigerator until cold and set, 2-3 hours, and then top with whipped cream and toppings and serve.
Whether you like your sundaes simple, or you like to add fresh fruit and specialty syrups, or love to enjoy the pudding all by itself, this recipe is sure to please. It’s fun for kids to decorate with toppings, and even more fun to eat. What are your favorite chocolate dessert recipes? Leave your comments below!