Granola bars are a staple in every pantry, but during the summer you can never have enough. But instead of store bought granola bars, how fun are homemade granola bars? Not only are they delicious but they’re even healthy! We’ve finally found the perfect recipe that your whole family can’t get enough of. The best part is, they’re no-bake and take only ten minutes to make.
Healthy Granola Bars
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons honey
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Heaping 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups quick-cooking/instant oats, such as Quaker Quick 1-Minute Oats
- 1-3/4 cups crispy rice cereal
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup flax meal or wheat germ
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips (or to taste)
- Line a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with aluminum foil. Spray the foil lightly with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large pot, combine the butter, brown sugar and honey. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Lower the heat and simmer until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is slightly thickened about 2 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the vanilla and salt.
- Add the oats, rice cereal, almonds, and flax meal to the pan and fold with a rubber spatula until well combined.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan and press down lightly with a rubber spatula to even out. Sprinkle the miniature chocolate chips over top, adding more or less to taste, and press down firmly with the spatula so the chips stick.The mixture should be tightly compacted in the pan. Place the pan in the refrigerator for 1-1/2 – 2 hours to cool.
- Use the foil overhang to transfer the uncut bars to a cutting board. Using a sharp knife, cut into rectangles. Store the bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator. If you have to stack them, be sure to use parchment paper or foil in between the layers, otherwise, they’ll stick together and fall apart.
And there you have it! A delicious recipe, that’s easy to make and super fun to eat. Your whole family will love them and you’ll never have to buy store-bought granola bars again! What’s your favorite sweet summer snack? Leave your comments below!