The Holidays are a great time to get crafty with the kids and make festive decorations to hang around the house. Kids will love making decorations because it will get them in the holiday spirit and preoccupy them with entertainment. Parents love receiving home-made gifts from the kids as well, so help your kids make gifts for your parents, relatives and other family members. These few holiday ornaments are perfect for hanging on the Christmas tree or using as a gift.
Beaded Candy Cane Ornaments
These ornaments are colorful, festive and easy to make!
- 1 (25 pc.) package of green chenille pipe cleaners 12″x6mm
- 1 package pony beads – red, 6×9 mm
- 1 package pony beads – white, 6×9 mm
- Use wire cutters or scissors to cut the pipe cleaners in half
- Slide one bead to the end of a pipe cleaner and turn the end of the pipe cleaner around the bead to keep it in place.
- Alternate red and white beads until pipe cleaner is full
- Around the last bead, turn the end of the pipe cleaner to keep it in place
- Bend it into the shape of a candy cane, hang on tree!
Sour Dough Ornaments
Sourdough ornaments are such a fun decoration for the kids because they are able to see their hand-print on an ornament, and compare their hand size every consecutive year – seeing how much they have grown. The kids will absolutely love this.
- 2 cups of flour
- 1/2 cup salt
- 3/4 cup warm water
- Acrylic paint, clear sealant
- Mix all materials in a bowl
- Knead on a floured surface for 10 minutes to make dough smooth (if the dough seems too sticky, add a little more flour as you go)
- Roll out dough to 1/2 inch thick
- Have your child push his/her hand into the rolled out dough to form the handprint, cut around it with circular object (bowl)
- Use straw to cut a hole at the top for ribbon
- Use toothpick to prick small holes for ventilation
- Place ornaments on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper- cook at 200F for 4 hours
- After they cool, decorate with acrylic paint and finish with a spray of clear sealant to form a shiny look
- Add the name and year on the ornament for reference
These ornament crafts are great for giving as gifts or just to enjoy for the family. Be creative, and have fun with them!
Ideas and Pictures by