The modern developed world offers luxuries and opportunities beyond comprehension. It is however also accompanied by an immense stress and social pressure, especially on today’s youth. How many times have they not heard “you are the future.” The pressure to succeed in today’s society is beyond what a lot of children and adolescents are equipped to handle. Media and the internet constantly showcasing the one in a million person, normalizing the idea of that level of success to the point where the child feels worthless and inadequate.
As a parent, you want the best for your child, but it is easy to unintentionally feed their burden rather than lighten in.
1. Make sure that your child hears your praise even over the small things.
2. Make sure they understand that they are enough just as they are.
3. Make sure you help them reach their goals through support and unconditional love rather than pressure.
4. Make sure not to compare them to others, especially peers and siblings.
5. Make sure that they are and are becoming the person THEY want to be so that they can feel good about who they are.
A sense of self and attaining a healthy level of self-esteem is essential to living a happy life. Parents and family life is the biggest influence on self-esteem. Don’t abuse that power, use it to help your child become the best and happiest versions of themselves.