As we welcome the beautiful month of May, we also welcome all the beauty spring has to offer. May brings lush grass and beautiful flowers, but it also brings coughing, sneezing, and wheezing. Unfortunately, we can’t always control the weather and allergens outdoors. However, you can take some extra steps to keep your home free from allergy triggers! By keeping the inside of your house clean and tidy, you can keep you and your family allergy free! Make sure to keep an eye out for these 10 allergy triggers this spring season.
- Tobacco smoke: Making sure no one smokes inside your house is incredibly important. Not only is smoking harmful to your overall health, it can cause swelling and over-production of mucus. Second-hand smoke can make it difficult to breathe and create serious congestion. If you have friends or family visiting, make sure they take their smoke breaks outdoors.
- Pet Dander: As much as we absolutely love them, pets can cause a lot of problems when it comes to our allergies. If possible, try to keep them out of bedrooms and furniture. It helps to make sure you bathe them at least once a week and wash your hands after playing with pets!
- Mold: Mold causes some serious issues for allergies and asthma especially! Try to monitor your home’s humidity and keep fans going during the day. Make sure to pay special attention to damp areas, such as the kitchen and bathrooms!
- Pollen: I don’t know if there’s anyone who isn’t allergic to pollen! And unfortunately, it gets everywhere. Make sure to not launder your clothes outdoors and take a shower after spending a lot of time outside. After you shower, make sure you wash whatever clothes you were wearing! It also helps to wash your pillowcases a few times a week!
- Dust: If only there was a way to get rid of dust permanently! Until that happens, there are tons of ways to eliminate dust getting out of hand. Make sure to clean counters, fans, blinds, windowsills, or any other neglected areas often. Stock up on some air purifiers to make sure you’re breathing in fresh, clean air!
- Clothing: Believe it or not, there are tons of chemicals in dry-cleaned clothing that can cause a spike in our allergies. Make sure to air out dry-cleaned clothes and try to use them as soon as possible. If clothes are left hanging for several days they can release some of these pollutants in the air.
- Cleaning supplies: Make sure to be cautious of the cleaning products used in your home and when you’re using them. It’s important to try to keep them away from the kiddos and make sure the area is well-ventilated. Make sure you are storing these chemicals in a safe spot and that they are sealed correctly.
- Vermin: My least favorite part of owning a house is without a doubt, pests. Not only are they gross, what they leave behind wreaks havoc on allergies and asthma. To make sure your home doesn’t suffer, clean up crumbs and other food messes immediately, and make sure there aren’t any cracks or holes throughout the house.
- Odors: As crazy as it sounds, heavily odored products can play a huge part when it comes to indoor allergy triggers. As harmless as they may seem, lotions, soaps, and shampoos can irritate the skin and breathing airways. If possible, try to limit the number of scented products used, and try to steer away from heavily scented candles.
- Wood smoke: As pretty as fireplaces are, wood burning fireplaces cause a lot of allergy irritation.
Instead of using your fireplace, spruce up your mantle! Stock up on your favorite over-mantle decor. Anything from a large mirror, painting, or some candlesticks will add some beautiful scenery to any room. You still get the dramatic view without the allergies!
As much as I wish I could wake up one day and be allergy free, I don’t think that’s gonna happen anytime soon. Allergies can seem like the worst thing in the world sometimes, but that doesn’t mean you always have to be miserable. By keeping an eye out for allergy triggers, you can protect yourself and your loved ones, year round. What allergy triggers do you look out for in your home? Leave your comments below!