Family friction can easily be the most stressful are of life. The idea is to extinguish the fire before the first spark. Naturally, you are wondering how this is done. I have an answer for you and it is surprisingly simple. Communication.
- Have clear rules. So clear, that there is no room for discussion as to whether they have or haven’t been broken.
- Have clear and consistent consequences. It is especially important to make sure that they are the same for both children so one doesn’t feel favored or disfavored.
- Allow all parties involved a chance to explain themselves. Don’t jump to conclusions without truly listening to what is being said. It may have appeared different than what it actually was.
- Spend positive time together as a family. You don’t want to be seen as the evil witch who only comes out when there’s scolding or nagging to be done. This could be as simple as playing a board game together or a trip to the zoo. It is also important for your children to spend positive time together with one another.
- Make sure all family members are open with each other. If something is bothering one of you it is easily taken out on the others, it is important that they know what is really causing your anger.
These steps are simple and easy to employ in your home without a complete turn over of the system you currently follow. Successfully communicating with each other will allow more room for the love you all harbor for one another to shine through without being drowned out by easily overcome family friction.