Summer fun. A phrase we all love to hear, but often causes parents excess stress. Yet, this stress does not come from work, it comes from making plans every day for their children. Keeping them busy and enjoying the summer sun is something we should all learn to enjoy.
Tips for a great summer
1. Look for locals. There are plenty of young, fun teenagers in neighborhoods throughout the US who want part-time or full-time summer babysitting opportunities. Reach out to them and set up a weekly schedule, even if it is just two or three days a week for some free time for yourself.
2. Plan a weekly activity. Each week map out a plan. Whether that be dropping the kids off at Grandma’s for a day or taking them to the local park, having something to look forward to will make it a lot easier for all of you.
3. Do not be afraid to ask for help. Often times, Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, etc. complain about how little time they get to spend with their younger relatives. Explain to them your busy schedule for the week and see if they are willing to take the kids for a while once or twice a week. It doesn’t have to be every week, just a monthly visit that will sure to bring smiles to your kids!
4. Read. Read. Read. This does not get emphasized enough, but setting aside time to read, especially in young children and teens, does a lot of good. Make sure they are completing one decently sized book every two weeks. This will keep them busy, smart, and ahead of the game!
5. Assign Chores. A task that makes life easier for you, what a joy! Each week create a chore to do list and assign each child a few duties or errands a couple days of the week. Again, this does not have to be every day, but make sure your kid knows they still need to be doing SOME work during the summer. This will also provide them with a good work ethic for later on in life.
Summer is supposed to be fun for all! So sit back and relax. Do your work, but also help your kids out by using a few of these tips and tricks. You sure will be happy you did!