In this cold winter weather, there’s nothing that I enjoy more than a hearty soup recipe. A yummy, warm, hearty soup will leave you happy and full, but what’s even better than any regular hearty soup? A hearty vegetable soup! Yep, you can not only enjoy some seriously delicious comfort soup, but you can enjoy it completely guilt-free! Cozy up this winter with my favorite hearty vegetable soup recipe. Here’s how to get started!
1 Tablespoon olive oil
2 small potatoes or sweet potatoes, peeled and diced (can also substitute with cauliflower)
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped carrots
3 tomatoes, diced (or substitute with 1-14 ounce can)
14.5 ounces can Rotel (or diced tomatoes and green chiles)
15 ounces can tomato sauce
1 to 1 1/2 pound lean ground beef or turkey
1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 – 2 teaspoons chili powder, more or less to taste
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for an additional 1 minute.
2. Next, stir in the ground beef and cook until browned. Drain any remaining fat.
3. Then, stir in potatoes, celery, carrots, Rotel, tomato sauce, and water.
4. Bring to a light simmer and then stir in the balsamic vinegar, chili powder, salt, pepper, and tomatoes.
5. Reduce the heat to low and let simmer for about 30-45 minutes (or until the potatoes and carrots are fork tender), stirring occasionally.
6. Top with fresh basil and sliced avocado if desired.
And there you have it! A super easy and delicious soup recipe that is sure to please your entire family. Feel free to add in different vegetables or if you are a vegetarian, you can add more vegetables in place of protein. What are some of your favorite vegetable soup recipes? Leave your comments below!