Family vacations are some of the best memories we make all year. I look forward to going to the beach, the mountains, or even a few miles from home. But I would be kidding myself if vacations didn’t feel like a full-time job sometimes. Making sure I didn’t forget to pack anything, making plans for the trip, and making sure I’m fully prepared for anything that might come my way. Any good vacation tip can be a lifesaver when you’re dealing with so many things at once. So after mastering the art of making vacation plans, we’re sharing our top vacation tips for parents everywhere! Make sure you try to follow these tips before leaving for your next vacation.
Before You Leave Home:
Create an emergency information pack! Whether you pack this in your purse, backpack, or envelope, it’s a great thing to have. Especially for international travel! Most importantly, make sure you don’t place it in your checked luggage, just in case something happens. Make sure you have the following info:
- A list of current medications and dosages. If possible, try to ask your doctor for extra prescriptions in case something happens to your kiddos current medications.
- A list of any allergies or sensitivities. This includes current medical conditions or anything that might be important if there’s a medical emergency.
- Contact information for your family doctor. Don’t forget to include their address, phone number, and their full name.
- Jot down your insurance customer service phone number and make a copy of identification cards. If possible, contact your insurance company and ask for coverage information. It’s best to be fully prepared, in case you have to deal with the worst case scenario!
The Day You’re Leaving
- Carry the emergency info pack you so carefully created before leaving home.
- Don’t forget a first-aid kit and lots of hand sanitizer!
- Bring extra diapers, wipes, or anything else that you might need!
- Gather any local emergency phone numbers, as well as the location of the nearest hospital. You can always google this information, or ask the concierge for help!
- Keep an eye out for anything dangerous in your suitcase! This includes medications, vitamins, or cosmetics. Kids are extremely curious and you want to make sure that they can’t get a hold of anything that would be dangerous for them. If there’s a safe in your room, lock your medications in there or store them on a high shelf.
- Next, check out the room! If the carpet is dark or patterned, double check to make sure there isn’t anything dangerous hidden on the floor or on the walls. Are there any cords hanging off the wall? Any irons or hair straighteners? Make sure you baby proof the room yourself and there isn’t anything that could cause problems.
- If you’re planning on having fun in the sun, make sure you’re fully prepared! Even if you want to leave with a sun-kissed tan, SPF is super important! As far as the kiddos go, their skin is EXTREMELY sensitive and is easily damaged by the sun and UV rays. There’s nothing worse than seeing your kiddos in pain from a serious sunburn. Make sure you have more than enough sunscreen, having extra is always better than not having enough!
- Lastly, don’t forget babysitting! If you’re looking into hiring a babysitter, make sure you do your research first. Double check if your resort or hotel offers babysitting services. But most importantly, if you don’t have a good feeling after meeting your babysitter, cancel. It’s always best to have a backup plan, just in case you end up having the kiddos tag along with you.
Whether you are a seasoned traveler or this is your first big trip, stocking up on vacation tips is always a great idea! The best way to have a great time with your family is to make sure you’re fully prepared. What are some of your favorite vacation tips? Leave your comments below!